Sunday, January 2, 2011

Sopa de Tortilla con Pollo

This yummy soup is perfect for a chilly January day such as today, and it's super easy too! The warmth and spice will warm you from the inside out.

First I boiled some boneless, skinless chicken breast tenders this morning in a large pot for about 5-7 minutes. Then took them out of the water and set aside while I rinsed out the pot and began to add the ingredients for the soup back into the same pot (why dirty another dish?). Then while step 1 was heating I shredded about 6 or 7 chicken tenders by simply using two forks to pull apart the meat. I test-tasted the soup after I added the chicken and thought it was much spicier than I had anticipated, so after dishing up my portion I decided to add a generous dollop of sour cream. I am glad I did. It was perfectly spiced and the sour cream adds a nice smoothness to the soup. YUM!

Chicken Tortilla Soup

Ingredients:
2 cans (10oz each) RoTel mexican diced tomatoes with lime and cilantro, undrained
1 can (16oz) Rosarita no fat green chili and lime refried beans
1/2 cup frozen whole kernel corn
2 cans (14oz each) reduced sodium chicken broth
2 cups shredded cooked chicken
Fried corn tortillas or chips
shredded cheese, optional
sour cream, optional

Directions:
1) Place undrained tomatoes, beans, corn and broth in medium saucepan and heat over medium high heat. Stir until combined. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low and simmer 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.

2) Add chicken; heat until hot. Serve topped with tortilla strips, cheese and sour cream if desired.

Makes 6 servings! (so who wants to come over and help me eat it?) :)
(Recipe courtesy of the can of Rosarita refried beans)

2 comments:

Mary Lou said...

Hey, loved seeing your blog pop up on my reader. So glad to "hear" from you again. I also love the new look of your blog. We need to do coffee soon!

Would love to try the soup but I think I would be the only one eating. Hmmmmm.....may have to do so anyway soon.

Delightful Fig said...

Hey Thanks! If I have any left by this thursday you are more than welcome! (That's the next day I am free to bring some over). yes, let's get together soon. It's been WAY too long! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...